Prep time: 8h soaking, 10 minutes active, 30 mins cooking
Total time: 8hrs, 40 minutes
Recipe makes: 6 servings
|65g||sago (*soak overnight in milk)|
|1||lemon, zest only|
|1||orange, zest only|
|60g||soft fresh gluten-free bread|
|90g||dark brown sugar|
|1 tsp||cinnamon, ground|
|¼ tsp||nutmeg ground|
|1 tsp||bicarbonate of soda|
|200g||mixed dried fruit|
|50 g||glace cherries|
Method – Sago Pudding
- Soak sago overnight in milk.
- Place zest and bread into TM bowl and chop 10 sec/speed 8, scrape down sides of bowl, chop 5 sec/speed 8. Set aside.
- Place butter, sugar, soda and spices in TM bowl and cream butter until light and slightly fluffy, 20 sec/speed 6. With blades continuing to turn at speed 3, add eggs one at a time through hole in lid until all incorporated, scrape down sides of bowl.
- Add fruit, cherries, bread mixture and sago mixture and combine 15 sec/Reverse/speed 4.
- Spread mixture evenly between dariole moulds, that have been lightly greased and lined with a disk of grease proof paper.
- Clean the mixing bowl, fill with 1L water, place puddings into the Varoma and steam for 30 mins/ Varoma/ speed 2.
- Remove from dariole moulds by running a butter knife gently around the edge and inverting. Serve warm with brandy custard or whipped brandy butter.
Not all dried fruit is created equal, for best results use a mixture of currants, sultanas, dates, halved wild figs, dried apricots (diced), dried pineapple (diced) cranberries or create your own blend.
Double the recipe and place in lightly greased 1L pudding tin, with a lined base to ensure a smooth finish when inverted. Secure pudding lid and fill water to steam for 2 hours in a sealed large pot, using an egg ring to stop the pudding basin from touching pot base.