2 lemons, zest only
500g bakers flour
1kg-1.8kg whole fish, scaled, cleaned (see tips)
1 fennel bulb, offcuts & stems
2 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs dill
1 leek, trimmed, white portion only
60g unsalted butter
1tsp vegetable stock paste
100g white wine
18 kipfler potatoes (halved lengthwise)
250g spinach, leaves only, washed
black pepper, freshly ground
- Place lemon zest and salt into the bowl, 10 sec/ speed 9. Add flour, water and 2 eggs. Mix 10 sec/ speed 6. Knead for 2 minutes on dough mode. Set aside in the fridge for 2 hours. Wash and dry mixing bowl.
- Prepare fish, wash and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim the fennel bulb reserving the offcuts. Slice fennel into 8 wedges and set aside. Place fennel offcuts (150g), parsley and dill into mixing bowl chop 3 sec /speed 4.5. Place mixture into the cavity of the fish firmly.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 190C.
- Flour work surface, roll with the dough to 5mm thick to a rectangular shape large enough to fit wrapping the fish in an envelope. Mix the remaining egg with a tablespoon of water and brush the inner seams with the egg wash. Fold pastry over, firmly press the edges down to the outline of the fish. Cut away any excess and brush the outer shell with remaining egg wash. Place fish on baking tray, surround with fennel wedges and place in oven for 30-40 minutes.(see tips)
- Place leek, roughly chopped, into mixing bowl, chop 3 sec/ speed 7, add butter and cook 3 mins/Varoma/ speed 1. Weigh in white wine, 120g water, vermouth, fish sauce, and stock paste into the mixing bowl. Place potatoes into the basket and set in place. Cook 15 min/ Varoma/ speed 1.
- Place spinach on the Varoma tray sprinkle with olive oil and season. Place tray on Varoma dish cook 3 min/ Varoma/ speed 1.
- Place vegetables into Thermoserver. Add cream to mixing bowl, then with MC in place, blend 30 sec/ speed 5 turning slowly up to speed 9. Pour into serving jug.
- Cut a neat incision around fish, unfold carefully to reveal cooked fish. Serve with vegetables and sauce.
Tips- allow 200g fish per persons larger/ thicker fish require a longer cook time up
to 45 minutes.
Dough will cover fish to 1.5kg, make two batches to wrap larger fish up to 3kg. Get your fishmonger to scale gut clean and trim your fish. I have tried cod, snapper, trout, ocean trout very sucessfully 🙂